LAST UPDATED: JAN 21, 2023
“Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Tunnel” is a road built under the Karnaphuli River also known as Bangabandhu Tunnel and Karnaphuli Tunnel. Basically, Karnaphuli will play an important role in connecting the two banks of the river. Dhaka, Chittagong, Cox’s Bazar highways will be connected with the help of this tunnel. The first tunnel in Bangladesh and the first and longest under-river road tunnel in South Asia with a length of 3.43 km. The work of Bangabandhu Tunnel was officially inaugurated on February 24, 2019.
Table of contents
Open Table of contents
Bangabandhu Tunnel Project at a Glance
- Foundation stone laying: 14 October 2016
- Start of work: 24 February 2019
- Length: 3.43 km
- Manufacturer: China Communication and Construction Company Limited (CCCC)
- Tunnel Start: Chittagong Suburban Naval Academy
- End of Tunnel: Between Chittagong Urea Fertilizer Limited and Karnaphuli Fertilizer Limited factory on south bank of Karnaphuli river.
- Depth: 150 feet deep in the middle of Karnaphuli river
- Construction cost: 10 thousand 374 crore taka
- Probable Opening: 24 February 2023
- Financing: Exim Bank of China is giving Tk 5 thousand 913 crore at 2 percent interest rate. The remaining 4 thousand 461 crores is financed by the government of Bangladesh.
Proposed Toll of Bangabandhu Tunnel
Bangladesh Bridge Authority has proposed a list of tolls for vehicles plying in the Bangabandhu Tunnel. It is awaiting the approval of the Finance Ministry. The proposal is:
- Private car, jeep and pickup: 200 taka
- Microbus: 250 Tk
- Bus with 31 or less seats: Tk 300
- Bus with 32 or less seats: Tk 400
- Truck less than 5 tons: 400 taka
- Trucks greater than 5 ton to 8 ton: 500 taka
- 8 to 11 ton truck: 600 taka
- Three axle truck: 800 Tk
- Four axle trailer: 1000 Tk
- Trailer with more than four axles: Tk 1000 and Tk 200 for each axle
Motorcycles and three-wheelers at Bangabandhu Tunnel
Motorcycles and three-wheelers are not allowed inside the tunnel for now.
এই পোষ্টটি বাংলায় দেখতে ক্লিক করুন এখানে